Thursday, July 19, 2012

Collecting Butter Molds


Remember the antique strawberry butter mold I found this winter? Well, I recently bought him some friends... I think I might now officially collect butter molds.


 

There is a feathery starburst pattern...


A miniature mold with a tiny flower or thistle design (this one is in my dining room instead of displayed with the other molds in the kitchen).


A shaft of wheat.


And the one that started it all, the strawberry vine. How fun that butter used to be so fancy!



I think the patina of these old butter molds is just as beautiful as the hand-carved designs. Just think of how many (slightly buttery) hands have used it, over a hundred years ago.


They are a beautiful piece of history... and just perfect for decorating my little farmhouse style kitchen!

14 comments:

  1. Ellie, your collection in beautiful. I found my first butter mold at GOODWILL, if you can believe it, for $2.99. I have it displayed right now on top some antique leather bibles. I LOVE the look of all three of yours. I'll def. be on the look out now for more. Thanks for the inspiration : )
    Hugs ~
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I recently started that collection too. They are beautiful. Your looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great butter molds..
    I love the collection..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of these.You have a great collection too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a few of these, too!
    it's so fun to stumble upon them and add to the collection.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These butter molds are absolutely charming! The carved motifs on each are little works of art. Good luck growing your collection, Ellie!

    Erin
    Carolina Country Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just so cute! I picked up an old rectangular butter mold at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago. It has the piece to press it with, but it is missing the knob. I just love it!! These ones you found are simply charming!

    Have a lovely weekend!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! I didn't know butter molds were so cute.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have long wanted my grandmother's, but alas! I don't know who has it or if they could be persuaded to sell it. The mold was metal, but the print form was wooden with a rose carved into it. Then daddy made one for us that simply had ripples going out from the center. He must not have been as much a carver as my grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ellie! oh my gosh, I love them! And funny thing, didn't know I loved butter molds! until reading your post. So thank you - I think! :) Can't wait to call my mom to see if my grandmothers used these.
    have a great day,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great collection! Wish I could find some of those around here. It will be fun looking for them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you shared this post of your pretty butter molds. This weekend I spotted one at a yard sale and because of your post I instantly knew what it was. I gladly paid the lady $1 and brought it home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...