Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Our New Digs - Part 3



Our next stop on the tour is the bedroom.  It's the only room in the house with hardwood floors, which I absolutely adore.  There are two big windows, again clothed in my favorite floor-to-ceiling curtains.  The bedroom sits in the east corner of the house, so once the days start to get a little longer as we inch towards springtime, the earlier sunrises will bathe this room in light. 


Surprisingly (especially to me) our bedroom ended up red.  Well, okay, accented in red.  But in my book, this is as red as any room in my house is likely to get. I am definately not a red-paint-on-the-walls kind of girl. No offense to those of you who are - I just know it would drive me loony in a matter of days.  I thrive with a backdrop of neutrality. 


But, I found this beautiful antique red and white quilt at an antique mall several months ago (for a steal, I might add) and it was the perfect piece to build a room around. Paired with a few less-than-antique finds...


... like this Pottery Barn pillow cover and a red striped rug from Target, my red bedroom came together.


We haven't splurged on a headboard yet, so in the meantime a simple antique mirror that I picked up at a flea market for $2.00 acts as a beautiful focal point above the bed.


A chippy white dresser also serves as my vanity, with the addition of a few antique crocks and baskets to stash all of my makeup and jewelry, and a wood-framed mirror from Target (I love Target - those beautiful bedside wood lamp bases and linen-look shades are Target finds, too!)


What I love even more than a beautiful antique is a bargain.  I am thrifty to the core, and I love finding dirt-cheap decor that doesn't look it. This little burlap cushioned bench is just such a bargain.  When I bought it at a second-hand store, it was painted bright white with ugly blue floral fabric.  I brushed on a couple coats of cream and tan paint to age it, recovered the top with burlap, and added a border of decorative flat-head nails to finish it off. The result?  I have the look of a french antique for around $15.  And I found the antique feed sack pillow, usually insanely expensive, for $10 at an antique show.

Proof that with the right mix of affordable antiques, repurposed finds, and brand new Target style, a beautiful bedroom doesn't have to cost a fortune!

8 comments:

  1. I really like the red, especially that red and tan striped pillow! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life moves along and I can't seem to move with it. I'm waiting for the day when you and your family reopen the Nature Shop in Hartville. Nothing compares to the ambiance that was created and offered up for all to enjoy within Phoebe's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellie! I just wanted to say "How yinz doin'?" from the 'Burgh! I stumbled upon your sweet Etsy shop looking for wholesale inventory for a brick and morter shop I am planning. While reading your blog I saw you just moved from Pittsburgh. I actually live in Coraopolis. My website is www.myboutiquebijou.com and www.etsy.com/shop/myboutiquebijou. You did a fabulous job with your new "digs"! I absolutely love the livingroom too. It's good to see your are keeping your talents alive through Etsy and this beautiful blog. (My blog is sorely neglected for now!) I will read often though!

    Your "Pittsburgh Connection"...Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey - how funny! We lived in Coraopolis, on Vine St. Small world :) So glad you found my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie: You're kidding!?!?! I can walk to Vine St! We're on Stratford. I will definitely keep in touch!.........Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the pillow.. and the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving your style. Found a link to your blog via the Parade of Homes email sent from Toni. Can I ask: are your topiaries real or artificial? I love the look of rustic, messy topiaries though struggle to keep them alive :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...